8 Startling Burglary Statistics You Should Know
Updated: Sep 25, 2019
According to 2017 FBI crime statistics, there are almost three burglaries every minute in America. When you add it up that's 3,757 burglaries a day! This article will help boost your awareness of how break-ins can affect your home or business.
1. Businesses without alarm systems are 4.5X more likely to be burglarized.
In most cases, criminals do their research before picking a target. Businesses without alarm systems are a burglar's best choice.
2. About 60% of burglars would seek an alternative target if an alarm is present.
Break-ins are typically planned and criminals deliberately pick their targets based on the likelihood of them being able to succeed. Alarm systems give burglars an excuse to look elsewhere.
3. 74% of uncompleted intrusions can be credited to an audible alarm.
Alarms cannot physically stop a criminal, but they can scare them away. An alarm system alone can be enough to deter an intruder. Once the alarm has sounded, police can be notified immediately and dispatched to your property. The one thing all burglars have in common is that none of them want to be caught.
4. 50% of burglaries occur through unlocked doors.
Burglars look for the path of least resistance so if they spot an unlocked window or door, that’s what they’ll use.
5. Most commercial burglaries occur when a business is closed: nights, weekends, & holidays.
Unfortunately being physically present to watch your business 24/7 is not always an option. Burglars go to great lengths to make sure that no one is going to be around when they commit their acts.
6. 448,617 business burglary offenses in 1 year.
The most at-risk states are New Mexico, Arkansas, Louisiana, Alabama, & Mississippi.
7. On average, a burglary happens once every 23 seconds in the U.S.
According to 2017 crime statistics from the FBI, there are almost three burglaries every minute in America, making it the second-most frequent crime behind larceny-theft. When you add it up, that's 3,757 burglaries a day.
8. Police solve only 13% of reported burglary cases due to lack of a witness or physical evidence.
The chance of a burglar coming back is very high, and as many as one out of every three house burglary victims is a repeat victim. Unlucky victims even have an eight percent chance of being burgled two or more times again.
Taking the time to invest in a quality, monitored security system can greatly reduce your chance of becoming a victim. Secure Shield Enforcement Solutions specializes in security plans for any need or budget.
Source: 2015 FBI Unified Crime Report | 2017 FBI Unified Crime Report